The T-Fal Actifry FZ7002 is a low fat multi-cooker using patented hot air technology to heat and fry food with just 1 tablespoon of oil.
The Actifry has a paddle in the middle of the cooking bowl which gently stirs, while the pulsing hot air circulates around the food. As a result the oil will be evenly distributed, cooking your food to perfection.
Read on for our T-fal Actifry Review
T-fal Actifry Features
- 2.2 pound cooking capacity
- 1400 watt
- Control panel with just 2 buttons: on/off and timer
- 99 minute timer with buzzer
- Recipe book with 38 recipes included
- Pan is coated with non-stick ceramic which is PTFE and PFOA free
- Dishwasher-safe see-through lid
- Mesh filter to prevent odors
- Limited 1 year warranty
- Available in black or white
- Non-slip base for added safety
Foods To Prepare With The Tefal Actifry
The T-fal Actifry is called a multi-cooker which is a bit of an understatement: You can prepare many different healthy meals in it and with little to no oil.
Some example meals include:
- Fries made from fresh potatoes. You can make 2 pounds with just 1 tablespoon of oil. Using frozen pre-made fries does not require any additional oil.
- Stir-fry dishes including fried rice, vegetable stir fries and risotto.
- Compotes (the included recipe booklet has a recipe for it)
- Chicken wings or drumsticks turn out great in the Actifry. No extra oil needed for this.
- Granola (also in the recipe book)
- Roasted nuts
Limitations of the T-Fal Actifry
Of course it’s not all perfect with the Actifry. There are some things it can not prepare or is not very good at preparing:
- You can prepare breaded items such as nuggets if you bought them frozen. However foods that are freshly prepared with wet batter will not get cooked well. It will turn into a right mess courtesy of the rotating paddle.
- The Actifry can not cook soups or stews; You still need a (crock)pot.
Other Limitations of the Actifry:
- The paddle is removable for cleaning, but needs to be used during cooking. This to prevent cooking vapor or oil dripping into the motor unit, which could defect the machine.
- There’s only 1 temperature setting of 338 degrees Fahrenheit, which can be a disadvantage for certain foods.
The Actifry FZ7002 is very user friendly: There are only 2 buttons to use and pre-heating is not necessary.
Open the lid, add the food, set the timer and click the on/off button.
When the timer reaches zero there will be a buzzing sound. However the air fryer will not shut down automatically, so you need to turn the power off yourself.
Cleaning The Actifry
The Actifry has 4 removable parts that are dishwasher safe: the paddle, the lid, the non-stick pan and the filter.
You can also soak these parts in warm soapy water and then dry them with a towel.
Use a damp cloth to clean the inside and outside of the base.The base itself can not be immersed in water.
- Does not require pre-heating
- Healthy way to cook
- No smelly kitchen thanks to the mesh filter
- Easy to use (just 2 buttons)
- Easy to clean
- Can prepare stir fried Asian dishes (This the only air fryer that can do this to date!)
- No auto shut-off
- The outside of the machine gets warm during use
- 1 temperature setting of 338 Fahrenheit
- Battered or breaded frozen food tend to lose some of their coating. Solution: par fry these items first, but you would use more oil.
The bottom line
The Actifry is very suitable for making fries and Asian style foods with a lot less fat than with conventional cooking methods such as the wok and deep fryer. It’s also hands free cooking and very suitable for busy folks with not a lot time on their hands to cook and clean.